Monday 1 October 2012

For you, Empress


For you
I would search every stone on a grey pebble beach
until I found one that reminded me of you
somehow
something in the curving quartz that reminds me of your smile
or a piece of volcanic glass that makes me remember
the day you unleashed cleansing fire across half the world

For you
I would walk forever
through wood and hill and desert
one foot in front of the other, until I came home to you
and seventy-five percent of those walking with me had collapsed
in accordance with your population-control edicts
(which
I must add
are both reasonable and elegant)

For you
I would build a mighty statue
that spoke of your wisdom and your care
the world held protected in the crook of your arm
and your eyes, your beautiful eyes
would be your thousand-megawatt execution lasers
with which you destroy all traitors
roasting them to a crisp in the noonday sun
as the crowd chants your voice in delight and applauds

For you
I would start this evening again
and I would not allow you to confuse my expression of rapturous joy
at being selected as your paramour
with any sort of terror
(as though
I could be scared of you
when you protect us so well)

For you
I would do anything
so please
put down the gun
and kiss me

No comments:

Post a Comment